CHETHANA is an autonomous entity and has a General Body constituted of representatives from the member organizations (NGOs) and other civil society institutions such as the church, academic institutions, social movements etc. It has a full time General Secretary. General Body elects the National Core Team, which is responsible for making administrative decisions, monitoring and reviewing the functioning of the network programs.
CHETHANA seeks to address the issues of hunger and poverty through political empowerment and alternative economic survival strategies. The focus issues are addressed through Core Programs and Strategic program Initiatives. The groups involve in Strategic programs by addressing the focus issues through collective efforts, micro and macro analysis, building community, advocacy and lobbying, non-violent and democratic forms of resistance and action, co-operative and alternative economic initiatives and by developing local, national, and international solidarity. Secondly, core programs are developed to equip the groups with knowledge, skill and perspective to carry forward the strategic program initiatives. The Core program of Chethana involves the following components:
- To prepare groups through a collective learning process for ‘campaign mode’ of addressing issues and to help them understand it’s various meanings and dimensions.
- To enable the groups to define their identity with ideological clarity and in relation to their specific area of intervention in society.
- To provide them with skills for appropriate social intervention, campaign, advocacy, political action, and behavioral change.
- To engage in socio-political analysis, study, research and documentation.
- To expose the groups to contemporary social realities and trends and to help them develop appropriate responses and collective action.
- To network and mobilize the groups for collective action based on the campaign agenda of Chethana.
The Liaison Office of CHETHANA is located in Hyderabad, state of Telangana. The Programme Coordinator & Member Secretary of Chethana coordinates programs and administers the organization with business support / finance personnel at the Central Office, Nandyal, state of Andhra Pradesh. The Hyderabad office has basic infrastructure and facilitates speedy communication and documentation. The Coordinator organizes the Strategic and Core programs, undertakes administrative activities and visitations to field locations with the help of the National Core Group and the Executive Board.